Saturday, March 25, 2006

Remember


They just released the newest trailer for the movie formally known as Flight 93. See it on Apple trailers.

I gotta say, although I am looking forward to other movies this summer, e.g., Superman Returns, M:I:III, X3: The Last Stand, and Lady in the Water, I'm most curious about this film. I'm a big fan of Bourne Ultimatum and I think that a film like this is exactly what this country needs.

It's been over five years since any major media outlet has displayed footage that was taken on 9/11. I'm not suggesting that Americans should dwell on the terror of that day...but when a modern, visual society such as ours chooses not to show images of the planes hitting the towers or the terror on people's faces as they realized that people were jumping 100 stories to their death to escape the evil that had been inflicted on them, it's easy to see why NSA wiretapping is actually controversial.

Some may accuse me of justifying a culture of fear...and to be fair, I can't say that they're completely incorrect on that accusation. On the other hand, I think a culture that forgets is even worse. One only needs to read the book of Exodus to see that the God of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims is a God who places a top priority on remembering your history. I think that United 93 will help Americans do just that.

I'm also glad to see that Universal got its act together and got this movie out ahead of Oliver Stone's 9/11 drama, The World Trade Center. Over time 9/11 is becoming a New York thing (heck, all the imagery for United 93's poster are even NYC landmarks). Seems like with NYC being one of the power centers of our media that because most of the deaths occurred in NYC, we can virtually ignore the attack on the Pentagon or Flight 93. If this movie does well...and I expect it will do respectable business...it should help people remember the evil and the heroism of that fateful day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Eric,
I also am very excited to see this movie. I showed the trailer to my wife and she was a little hesitant saying that it “Looked sad…but good.” I agreed. Now, I’m not too familiar with Paul Greengrass’s past films (I guess his movie Blood Sunday was the reason he was picked to direct this movie), but I am curious to see how he will handle this extremely touchy subject. What will Greengrass focus on? Will the director show what we’ve already seen on television, read in the newspapers and heard about from others. Is this going to be the same story just told on film? If that is the case, I’m not going to say I won’t see it or that I think it’ll be bad, but I won’t respect it as much because it won’t be taking a chance. I think for this film to really succeed it has to show how scared, confused and mad the whole nation was at the time. Only after putting the audience in that position again (by showing them the chaos on the streets of the city, the suicides and the carnage that transpired) will the passangers of United 93 get the true remembrance that they deserve.

3/28/06, 9:48 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

tru dat!

4/12/06, 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home