Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Queen Review

Good:
1. The fact that it is based on relatively recent events and people who are currently alive and in power.
2. The usage of stock footage of Diana. In the little bit you see of her you can understand who the people of England felt such a loss for her.
3.Tony Blair. I really loved this character. He is caught in a very delicate situation between the public and the Royal Family. He seems to be played by a comedic actor which helped make him seem more like a common man and not a politician.
4. Not knowing which way you should feel about the Queen of England and the Royal Family. They are obviously out of touch with the common man, but is it their fault? Should we feel mad, annoyed or saddened by peaking into their lives?

The Bad:
1. Not knowing which way you should feel about the Queen of England and the Royal Family. I’m not sure if the film didn’t know how to portray them or left it up to the viewer to decide for themselves.
2. The first half of the film seemed to be filmed as a comedy that was disguising itself as a drama. It was actually quite annoying.


What’s funny about this movie is that it seems like a love it or hate it type. All the users on Metacritic either gave it a zero or a ten. There was really no one inbetween. I’m going to have to give it a six. If the movie took a more direct approach to what it was trying to convey it would have been easier to identify with the characters. The problem is that the movie’s central character is the Queen and you never know how to feel about her. Is she really cold and snotty or is she misunderstood by the general public? I still don’t know. I don’t like black and white type characters but the Queen was just too ambigious.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Thanks for the review.

So am I understanding you correctly? You wanted the film to have a bias? Isn't it better for a film to attempt to show dynamics and let you make up your own mind?

11/8/06, 6:30 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Erik's mom highly recommended this movie to me. I love the idea of the British monarchy, so I may just have to check it out.

thanks for the review...very interesting.

11/8/06, 3:22 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Eric, I don't like films as much that are black and white, good and bad. That is one of the things that I liked about this movie. It is also one of the things I didn't like. Normally it would make for an interesting character, which in this case it did, but I took it as not interesting film making, but more as wanting to portray the Queen as an out of touch idiot, but too afraid to do so.

11/9/06, 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home