Monday, January 01, 2007

2006 Best of Reading List

Here's my list of 2006 reading. I'll continue to complete this post as I have time, including more links to my more detailed reviews as I get them typed (e.g., Brave New World).

But for now I got everything categorized and ranked.

Novels
Ok, so I don't read many novels, but I have to admit after the crop I read this past year, I'm apt to read more next year. Although Wangerin's Jesus has the best narration of this group, Brave New World is by far the head. It's insight and power is unmatched by anything I've ever read. Both Huxley's BNW and Lewis' Faces is a solid read with a great pay off. Slaughterhouse was by far the most creative of the four, but I found it ultimately shallow.
I was really hoping to finish The Watchmen in time to make this list, but I'm only on chapter four. I'm guessing it will be towards to top of my 2007 list.
  1. Brave New World
  2. Till We Have Faces
  3. Slaughterhouse Five
  4. Jesus: A Novel
  5. 1984
Biography
  1. Team of Rivals
  2. The Devil and the White City
  3. River of Doubt
  4. The Man Who Heard Voices
  5. Christ the Lord
History
  1. American Gospel
  2. Plan of Attack
  3. Lost Triumph
  4. America: The Last Best Hope
  5. Flag of Our Fathers

Science
  1. The World is Flat
  2. Blink
  3. Crack at the Edge of the World
  4. Guns, Germs, and Steel
  5. Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded

Religion
  1. Deus Caritas Est
  2. Against the Protestant Gnostics
  3. Evil and the Justice of God
  4. Misquoting Jesus
  5. Simply Christian
  6. Paul: A New Perspective
  7. What Jesus Meant
  8. Whose Bible Is It?
  9. Beyond Belief
  10. Forbidden Faith

Social Sciences
  1. Wal-Mart Effect
  2. Freakonomics
  3. Confederates in the Attic
  4. How to Talk to Anyone at any time
  5. Think: Why Crucial Decisions Can't Be Made in the Blink of An Eye

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Holy crap! That's a lot of books! I haven't read many this year, but I've read quite a few. I'll start to make a list so that by this time next year I will have a list like yours. Probably half the size. You're an animal!

1/3/07, 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home