Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Spider-Man HSX trading at $138!

Hollywood Stock Exchange set the opening weekend strike price for Spider-Man 3 at $125M. It's call stock is now trading at just under $13/share. Put stock is trading at just under $4/share. The movie stock itself is trading at $366. Just for reference, last year's megahit, Pirates 2, cashed out at $358.

Meanwhile, they've set the Shrek 3 strike price at $105.

Final reminder: final posts for summer predictions are due tomorrow.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Biggest opening of all time??? I don't see it. It'll be big but it's going to be a lot less than what they think...at least I hope so, or I'm in trouble.

5/2/07, 1:06 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

It'll be the widest domestic opening of all time. Plus, with the help of the IMAX screens which can really push per screen averages pretty high, this may have a chance. $138M does seem a bit high, though.

5/2/07, 1:47 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I just don't hear the hype. I don't know anyone excited to see it and I just don't see it becoming the biggest movie of all time. But, with that being said, some of us at work are probably going to see it on the IMAX before work on Friday, soooooooo that pretty much negates everything I wrote about up above.

5/3/07, 12:15 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Remember X3 and Shrek 2 had $108 and $102 openings. I didn't see that X3 coming. I didn't see Pirates 2 having so much hype as to make it $21M past Spider-Man's record.

The thing is, according to some stuff I read yesterday, not only is this the widest ever, Sony's allowing theaters to open before midnight on Thursday and helping them to loop their reels so a theater can have, say, four copies of the film, but show it on eight screens.

And then there's another factor to remember. Not only is it the first movie of the summer, the same movie has been number 1 for the past three weeks...and that movie only took in $10M last weekend. That means there is absolutely no, and I mean NOTHING, that is competing with Spider-Man come Friday. Theaters will be more than willing to push everything else off their screens since there's only one movie with a decent per screen average playing right now: Hot Fuzz. A theater with 12 screen could put Spider-Man on eight of them and probably make more in ticket sales even though customers would only have five movies to choose from.

5/3/07, 5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home