Harry Potter

I would consider myself an avid reader. Along with watching 3 or 4 movies a week, I also read a lot. As I normally read a lot of adult fiction, mainly historical fiction, from time to time I like to read a kids book. Surprisingly, I have read a bunch of good ones. There are the obvious ones like C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia and J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, but then there are some others like The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke and Oliver Latsch that I really enjoyed. Usually I can tell when it is a kids book by the dialog. The plot is simplified and the characters are just so kidsy--as they should be. It's also a way faster read. But, one of the main reasons is the creativity. Sure, kids use their imagination more and therefore the authors really have to be good to grab the reader's attention. But, for example, in LOTR Tolkien goes way beyond that. I remember when I was reading those that I couldn't get over how much thought went into the books. Tolkien created this other world completely! He lived in it. You could just tell by the characters, the different lands and even the languages. Many say LOTR is the greatest trilogy of our time. Well, I think a lady by the name of J.K. Rowling is a close runner-up with her character named Harry Potter. She doesn't just write about Harry's adventures, she creates this magical world, that actually makes you believe it exists hidden somewhere in
I read the first one Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone before the movie came out. (By a couple of months actually). I really enjoyed it, so I decided to start the second one, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, right away. Unfortunately, I wasn't so into that one and quit after about 50 pages. I don't normally quit books so early. I have a rule of 100 pages and then if I still am not into it I can stop. Well, the second Potter just seemed more like the first so I got bored. I did, however, see it in the theater. I thought they were great adaptations of the books. Of course, I decided the books were better, as usual. (Stone, really, since that's the one I read). So when the third movie came out, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I didn't go see it in the theater. To be honest, I couldn't believe people still were. I was over Harry Potter. I did finally rent it and liked it. But again, I was over Potter. I couldn't see the fascination anymore. By this time book 5 had come out Harry Potter and the Order of the
Rowling did it. She grabbed me again! I am so into the world of Harry, Hogwarts and the Ministry that I can't think straight. I can't read fast enough. I just want to know what will happened next. Rowling, like Tolkien, has created something so amazing generations and generations will be reading it. I want my son to read them when he is old enough. As I read all I can think to myself is how did she come up with this? Where did these ideas come from? Who thinks like this? It's fascinating. Harry is so real. He's dealing with something right now, I just don't know about it yet. I sure hope he's okay! Needless to say, I am a Harry Potter fan again! And I want to encourage anyone who hasn't even read one of the books to pick them up (or watch the movies and then pick up the newer ones). You will not be disappointed. I promise.

1 Comments:
She's the bomb yo! I must admit that I wouldn't have kept reading Harry Potter if no one else was though. I guess I kept doing it to be in the "know". It's good, but I keep expecting it to be better than what I am reading. It's good, but it is never the as legendary as everyone makes it out to be. I do really like the last couple movies though and I'm excited for the next ones. Basically, I know exactly what you're saying. I only keep up with it because everyone else does.
Post a Comment
<< Home