Unbreakable

So I went back and watched this movie. It's really good. I'd give it an 8. I would probably give it a 9 if Billy Joel, oops, I mean Haley Joel Osment (I get them confused now that they both get drunk and crash their cars) would have been in it. The other kid, Spencer Treat Clark, wasn't as bad as I remembered but he sucks compared to Haley Joel. The whole scene with him wanting to shoot his dad should have been taken out and the dynamic between Bruce Willis and Robin Wright Penn didn't make the movie better either. What is their deal? Why didn't they get along? Why do they walk around so depressed all the time? How come neither one had noticed that Bruce never gets sick? Why did they think he injured himself in the car crash when he was younger? I'm sure Bruce Willis just acted like he was injured, but why? What would be so bad about him saying, "yeah, I got in a bad car accident and my girlfriend got injured badly but I'm okay." It's strange but it's not unheard of. Things like that happen all the time.
The directing of it was great and I can see why Shymalan was so proud of the movie, but I don't think it is as good as Signs. It's not as interesting. I like the relationship with Willis and Jackson, but Willis's family life always seemed to bring the movie back down. I understand Shymalan wanted to make this a movie about a real life super hero and how his home life would probably be pretty normal/boring, but come on! I would have shot myself along time ago if I lived in that house. The lights are always low, everyone whispers, the air just looks cold.
Anyway, as far as the trailer goes. Eric, I know you said you were interested in watching it. I saw that it won the Golden Trailer Award in 2001. I just watched it and it wasn't that great. I don't think it's the same one I saw when the movie was coming out because the trailer on imdb.com shows that Unbreakable has to do with comic books. I just remember when Erin and I saw it at the theater we were shocked that the movie started out with facts about comic books. We thought we were in the wrong movie.

2 Comments:
Yeah, I guess it just worked more for me. Your questions are appropriate, but my mind never went there. The kitchen gun scene worked for me.
...both get drunk and crash cars...I don't care who you are, that's funny.
Yeah, and the thing is, the movie was made really well. So anyone who says that they absolutely loved it and think it's the greatest thing ever...I'd be able to see where they were coming from. It was a great film, just not all of it worked for me. If it worked for you, great!
Post a Comment
<< Home