Thursday, August 10, 2006

Talladega Nights



This movie has been getting great reviews (especially for a comedy) and with Will Farrell co-writing it with director Adam McKay I thought for sure this would be one of the funniest movies of the year. Maybe ever. This is from the same team that did Anchorman. One of my top five favorite comedies ever.
Nicole was excited too, so this morning we went to it before I had to go to work. As you can probably expect, I wasn't happy with the results. It's not a bad movie, I would recommend it to people, but...things just seemed to be falling flat. Will Farrell was good as usual, but the supporting cast sucked. No one else made me laugh and the story wasn't very good either. Not that this is a movie someone would watch for a plot, but I just didn't like where it took me. Will Farrell's rival is Sacha Baron Coen (aka Ali G aka Borat) and I thought that would be great because I'm a fan of his work (can't wait for the Borat movie!!!) , but he played a gay, French, race car driver. There seems like there would be a lot of jokes in there (too easy) because A: gay B: French C: it's Sacha Baron Coen. Nope, he didn't do it for me at all. Anyway....like I said, not a bad movie, and yeah, I'm sure I was expecting too much, but damn it, it wasn't very funny! It's okay though. Will Farrell has three more movies lined up and they all look great. Blades of Glory (with Napoleon Dynamite) Stranger Than Fiction (supposedly his Oscar caliber work) and Old School 2 (Frank the Tank is back!!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Well, at least that makes me feel a little better about choosing to go see Pirates 2 instead of Talladega Nights. I was conviced that I would have enjoyed Will Farrell more than the same-ole, same-ole that we experienced with Pirates.

I suspect I would still have liked it more...but at least it doesn't seem like a certainty.

Thanks.

8/10/06, 9:26 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

You weren't a fan of Pirates 2? I thought it was pretty good. I wasn't a huge fan of the first one though, so I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the new one. The special effects were amazing weren't they?

8/10/06, 5:30 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

yeah, great FX. Like Ann said, if the movie didn't have sound, it probably would have been better... though still long.

8/10/06, 7:54 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

You're right, it was long! The last half hour my eyes were just overwhelmed by everything going on. It was a like a sensory overload. Fun, but too much!

8/12/06, 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will Farrell is working on an Oscar caliber movie? That's interesting. Hope it's better than Punch Drunk Love. I was so curious about Punch Drunk love, but I was kind of diappointed by it. I guess i really couldn't identify with the main character at all, or anyone in the movie for that matter. Anyway, I think I could see will Farrell playing a serious part. I could see him being a Robin Williams type.

8/14/06, 11:43 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Yeah, Will Farrell definatley has potential, but I don't see it as much as Jim Carrey or Robin Williams for that matter. I'm curious too!

8/19/06, 3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home