Dead Man's Chest...My Two Cents
Pirates is good. I liked it. I would give it a 7 or 8. I think it is a great summer movie and I think it will kill at the box office. The theater was packed and everyone seemed to love it. It had a great openning weekend and it will only continue to sail.
Ok, so why didn't I think it was awesome? Why no 10? (Keep in mind I wasn't dissapointed at all.) Reason number one: this has been said before...the first one was better. Of course any new idea is going to be better and more fresh. In P2, they actually used a lot of the SAME jokes as the first one. I couldn't believe it. I sat there thinking...what, they couldn't come up with a new joke? They also rely on you having seen the first one. There a lot of jokes, that if you hadn't seen the first you won't get them in this one. I'm not a big fan of this. I think each movie should be able to stand on it's own. I understand plot will carry over...but come on...not the punch lines. Reason number two: the ending! I didn't like the ending at all! Erik and I were quite shocked. I know why they chose to do it this way. 2 and 3 were filmed together so they go together. They leave you hanging on Dead Man's Chest so you WANT to see the next one. In my opinion, if the writers had done their job adequately and wrote a self sufficient script that could stand alone without the help of 1 and 3 then people would want to see the third installment no matter what! Much like the X-Men series (which I haven't seen 3, but based on the first 2 would get me to the theaters...if I had no child at home to hold me back of course!) Reason number 3: a particular scene involving Jack and a certain someone else. Let's just say....what? what? what? COME ON! Why? Why must it be like this? You can't be serious!! ARRR walk de plank. de both of yous. Let's just say in my professional movie watching opinion, this scene could have been left on the editing room floor (or never filmed at all). They could have wrote it differently so this didn't NEED to happen.
Overall, I say see it. It's good. Kids will love it. Every single kid I heard walking out was drooling over it and smiling and talking and talking and talking. Johnny Depp is the bomb. Truly, this man is a wonderful actor. Needless to say, these movies are nothing without him. He saves DMC for me. He is so much fun to watch even if there are too many similarities to the first. He's what I loved about that P1 and so of course it makes sense he's what I love about P2, same jokes and all. Jack Sparrow is a great character. You love him and sometimes hate him! And oh so good looking!!! Yes, amidst all of this bad talk I would go and see it again...just for Captain Jack Sparrow.
Ok, so why didn't I think it was awesome? Why no 10? (Keep in mind I wasn't dissapointed at all.) Reason number one: this has been said before...the first one was better. Of course any new idea is going to be better and more fresh. In P2, they actually used a lot of the SAME jokes as the first one. I couldn't believe it. I sat there thinking...what, they couldn't come up with a new joke? They also rely on you having seen the first one. There a lot of jokes, that if you hadn't seen the first you won't get them in this one. I'm not a big fan of this. I think each movie should be able to stand on it's own. I understand plot will carry over...but come on...not the punch lines. Reason number two: the ending! I didn't like the ending at all! Erik and I were quite shocked. I know why they chose to do it this way. 2 and 3 were filmed together so they go together. They leave you hanging on Dead Man's Chest so you WANT to see the next one. In my opinion, if the writers had done their job adequately and wrote a self sufficient script that could stand alone without the help of 1 and 3 then people would want to see the third installment no matter what! Much like the X-Men series (which I haven't seen 3, but based on the first 2 would get me to the theaters...if I had no child at home to hold me back of course!) Reason number 3: a particular scene involving Jack and a certain someone else. Let's just say....what? what? what? COME ON! Why? Why must it be like this? You can't be serious!! ARRR walk de plank. de both of yous. Let's just say in my professional movie watching opinion, this scene could have been left on the editing room floor (or never filmed at all). They could have wrote it differently so this didn't NEED to happen.
Overall, I say see it. It's good. Kids will love it. Every single kid I heard walking out was drooling over it and smiling and talking and talking and talking. Johnny Depp is the bomb. Truly, this man is a wonderful actor. Needless to say, these movies are nothing without him. He saves DMC for me. He is so much fun to watch even if there are too many similarities to the first. He's what I loved about that P1 and so of course it makes sense he's what I love about P2, same jokes and all. Jack Sparrow is a great character. You love him and sometimes hate him! And oh so good looking!!! Yes, amidst all of this bad talk I would go and see it again...just for Captain Jack Sparrow.

3 Comments:
Sounds like a lot of fun. We're planning to see it next week. If we don't see it while it's packing in theaters, I'm probably not going to see it at all.
I liked seeing the first one in the theater even though I didn't think it was that good of a movie (Depp was awesome, but beyond that there was nothing). The crowd made it enjoyable for me.
When we rented Pirates at home, I honestly couldn't get past 30 mins of it. It just wasn't that fun...in part because I saw it, and in part, because it's a good movie as a communal experience (think National Treasure). Stupid, but fun if the people around you are having fun.
Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
I'd give Pirates the same thing. 7 or 8. The special effect were probably the best I'd ever seen. After awhile you're just thinking, "Yeah, of course that guy is part human part shell fish." The scene with Johnny Depp falling with the log full of fruit was great. More later...
our friends back out for budgetary reasons, so given these reviews and our opinion of Pirates 1, we're putting seeing Pirates 2 until it hits budget, which given it's 2.5hr runtime and the difficultly of obtaining a babysitter willing to work weekends or an weeknight past 10PM, means in all liklihood means we won't see it in the theater at all. Oh, well. Doesn't sound like we're missing much anyway. Better to save my money for Lady in the Water...and then for The Departed (Oct 6), Flag of Our Father (Oct 20), or Prestige (Oct 27).
Post a Comment
<< Home