Saturday, April 22, 2006

Walden Media


I gotta say, I'm really excited about Walden Media. The stuff I read
about them leading up to their release of Narnia was really positive.
And the latest EW article gave me even more confidence in them.

I hadn't realized that they're headed up by the former president of
Dimension Films. During the Narnia hype all they talked about was
billionaire-evangelical, Philip Anschutz's involvement...apparently,
he's just the money behind the company.

It's really great that people who know how to make movies have
committed themselves to make family-friendly movies. I really hope
that they make a brand out of themselves. Given that Big Idea (the
creators of VeggieTales) got bought out, Walden is the only game in
town that has visionary movie makers that could make real change in
Hollywood.

That said, I wonder how Narnia's success ($291M domestic, #2 in 2005)
will reduce their dependancy on Anschutz. I hope not much.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I'm surprised that it was run by a former at Dimension studios. When I think of Dimension I just think about low grade horror films. That's cool that they have someone with something substantial on his mind. As far as Aschultz, if he is just the money behind Narnia who cares if they make another one without his help?

4/25/06, 10:27 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Who cares? I might. Without his involvement the integrity of the later Narnia adaptations could be in jeopardy (see my "Those Damn Narnians" post)

4/25/06, 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forget, what movies are they working on now? And on a slightly different subject, is Mel Gibson planning to continue making religious themed movies?

5/1/06, 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home