Ann's M:i:iii post
The Good (JJ Abrams), The Bad (the franchise sequels), and The Ugly (Abrams making M:i:iii)
I agree with Tim one a few points. PSH was very good. Probably the best person in the movie. Foreshadowing the end at the beginning was a very creative idea I thought. Not knowing what the rabbit's foot was was- also pretty creative. Although by the end of the movie, I have to admit, I had figured it was some terrible biohazard because that was the image that was in my head. I kept forgetting that we didn't know what the rabbit's foot was. In the end I didn't really care either.
I agree with Erin that Abrams is a good writer/director. Watching LOST has convinced me of JJ Abrams abilities. I think the philosophical questions the show brings up and the character development are really well done. I really did not think M:i:iii was a good fit for Abrams. I agree with Eric that realistic character development was not a good approach to an over-the-top action movie. Also, I have to say that I thought the romance is this movie was extremely cliché and pretty much ridiculous. I liked the first MI movie the best. We watched it recently watched it again and what I really liked was that the it had a great style for an unbelievable action movie. The music, the shots (i.e. an aquarium restaurant being blown to smithereens, the train top scene), the dialog- I thought the story was framed well so that my suspension of disbelief was not as much of a problem for me as it was in MI-2 and M:i:iii.

2 Comments:
well said. :)
Okay, I didn't think that MI3 was over the top. I really didn't. Does that mean I think any of this could really happen? No way! When I think of over the top I think of MI2. When I think of a start thriller/action movie, I think of the first MI. When I think of what those two together would make. I think of MI3.
I liked the love aspect. I understand that they have to throw it in because it's a spy movie and there has to be a love interest. When you look at it that way, you have to admit, it wasn't too bad.
Another thing you have to keep in mind is that this is his first movie he's ever directed. And it's a tentpole picture! Oh my God! Sure he could have changed a few things. I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending, but it served its purpose. I do wish PSH had a bigger part in the movie though.
Post a Comment
<< Home