Thursday, May 11, 2006

My Two Word M:i:III Review

"Humpty Dumpty"

My longer, four word review?
"I agree with Ebert"

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Ok, I saw it last night I think I've figured out why I didn't enjoy--at all--this movie I was so looking forward to.

I think it's because I figured it was guaranteed fun for me...I mean, how could it not be?

If it was a good movie, I'd enjoy it much like I enjoyed M:i:1.
If it was a bad movie, I'd enjoy it much like I enjoyed M:i:2.
Therefore good or bad, I'd love it, right.

Well, last night was a two hour study on appreciating the production concepts behind M:i:2...because even though that plot was less believable than M:i:III's at least the action scenes were unique and interesting (e.g., doves flying around, cars spinning together, motorcycles spinning on one wheel, grandioso helicopter shots of TC scaling a cliff, etc.).

JJ Abrams (whose Lost I enjoy) is not an interesting director. Everything about this movie was conventional. The action scenes were nothing special (other than especially loud), the relational drama wasn't particularly original or gripping.

In fact, about 45 mins into the film I leaned over to Ann and said this was just a few punch lines away from being True Lies...then came the humpty dumpty line and it was all over. There it was...on 4,000+ prints: proof that TC is crazy.

5/11/06, 7:30 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I totally agree with Erin on this one. I don't see where you or Ebert are come from. This wasn't the smart thriller like the first one, but it was way beyond the second one. WAAAAY beyond it. Just like Erin, I kept thinking, okay when is this thing going to start getting ridiculous, but it didn't. Could it happen in real life? No way! But I think they made unbelievable stuff easy to digest for moviegoers. That is why I think JJ Abrams did such a good job. He had a task of taking totally unbelievable things (just like he did with Lost) and making them believable. If you sit there, scrutinize and ask yourself "Well in the real world what would really happen?" no, it's not going to stand up. But JJ Abrams at least makes it plausable and that's all I'm really looking for in a movie like this. I never was thinking "okay this is crazy, time to turn my brain off." It wasn't an amazing, sophisticated plot, but I didn't care. That's the reason why I didn't give it a ten. Everything else in the movie was a lot of fun to watch. I don't know why you didn't think that the action scenes were "unique and interesting". I thought all the action scenes were great, especially the one on the bridge. Did you go in there wanting to hate this movie?

5/12/06, 2:03 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

First off, like I said, I fully expected to really enjoy this movie.

Second, you can't say that I'm incapable of turning off my brain to enjoy a movie...I have seen M:i2 a half-dozen times and still enjoy that mindless mayhem every time. So if anyone can say "just enjoy the utter silliness" it's me to Tim who still can't seem to enjoy M:i2.

5/12/06, 6:31 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Oh, and btw, I don't see either of you defending that Humpty Dumpty line!

5/12/06, 7:00 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Was the Humpty Dumpty line on the Vatican Wall? I don't remember.

The thing with MI 2 is that I can enjoy action and nonsense up to a point. The problem with MI 2 is that it tried to be a serious movie with very silly scenes in it. That's why Austin Powers 3's opening scene worked so good. It was so out there and knew it was.

5/13/06, 2:04 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

You know, it doesn't surprise me that you don't remember the Humpty line...because if you did, your rating would drop from a nine to a seven.

M:i2 took itself seriously?! That's like saying that The World Is Not Enough took itself seriously.

I got an example of what I meant when I said that Abrams is not an interesting director. The first two M:i movies had at least one scene each which has become iconic. The first one was obviously TC dangling horizontally in the white room. The second had the opening helicopter shot of TC scaling the Utah cliffs. Both of these scenes have become part of our pop culture as evidenced by their parodies in Shrek 2 and Ice Age 2 respectively. What scene or image from M:i:III will be remembered like either one of those? I'm fairly confident there isn't one.

5/13/06, 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home