Poland's M:i:iii Review
An excerpt:
Summer starts with a whimper… perhaps the loudest whimper on record, but a whimper nonetheless… with Mission:Impossible 3, aka Alias: The Motion Picture, aka The Really Big Movie That Really Doesn't Suck That Bad...The simple analysis of Abrams directorial skills is that he shoots virtually everything in close-up, has no skill in establishing space (a TV director's trait because the density of the image in TV forgives this problem most of the time), and is only in his element when people are talking… and talking… and talking.Here is a little more detail…
JJ Abrams has four tricks that he uses (a lot) in Mission:Impossible 3:
- It's really hard for Tom Cruise to get into every building. (Everyone else on the I:M team seems to be able to get in through cleverness. Ethan Hunt has to use gadgets and raw physicality that turn him into Spider-Man.)
- He can get tears to well up in Tom's eyes like they did in Puss-n-Boots in Shrek 2.
- Lots of tough talk in tight close-up.
- When it's time to leave an impregnable building, use lots of automatic weapons and be sure that only the outnumbered good guys will know how to shoot.
These four items will get you through pretty much all of Mission: Impossible 3...
Phillip Seymour Hoffman was clearly not all that important to the movie - he was the McGuffin - until he became an Oscar candidate, then winner. I would bet a large sum that his last scene in the film was a re-shoot, though it may have been reshot during principle photography. Unlike in Capote, Hoffman is in his fully-fed glory here and the idea of him competing with Tom Terrific is appropriately avoided in most of the movie. When that changes, expect to hear some deserved laughs in the audience.
I really liked the first M:i film...and I enjoyed the second even though I know it was a piece of crap. I'll see this one too with expectations that it will be more like the second than the first. Oh, well. It sounds like fun!

5 Comments:
not out yet
I'm still going as soon as it comes out but....shit. That's too bad.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I have pretty much the same expectations for M:i:iii that I do when a James Bond movie comes out. I expect there will be some cool action/stunts- hopefully a few shots with nice landscape photography and it's always nice if the story is decent. If we're lucky the dialog won't be too stupid. I'm thinking more about the pathetic dialog in the last James Bond movie. MI-2 wasn't too bad is this regard. Definitely wasn't Oscar caliber writing or anything though.
I really liked the first one by the way, and I also enjoyed the second one.
If I never saw MI 2 I would think there was no way that this movie could be bad. But I did and it was terrible. On the other hand there is no way that Tom Cruise and JJ Abrams will make something awful. Maybe it won't live up to my expectations, but I doubt I'll leave the theater very disappointed.
Post a Comment
<< Home