Saving the Big Screen
Over the past couple years, I've become convinced that something like digital 3D projection is the only thing that will keep movie theaters from becoming as lifeless as stage theaters.
James Cameron has been tooting that horn for a while now, and here's the latest:
an excerpt:
The director of the highest-grossing film of all time at $1.8 billion worldwide said he is considering a re-release of 1997's Titanic in digital 3-D just as Peter Jackson is planning at some point for King Kong and, possibly, his The Lord of the Rings trilogy. George Lucas also plans to theatrically re-release his original Star Wars in 3-D timed to the space opera's 30th anniversary next year. With filmmakers and exhibitors united behind the idea of enhanced cinema experiences, Cameron predicted that studios would become even more focused on both releasing new titles and re-releasing classics in 3-D digital cinema. "We will reach a point in a few years when every major studio will ask how many of its four or five annual tent poles should be in 3-D," Cameron said. "It will become almost a rule that all major 3-D animated releases will be made available in 3-D. "Every year there will be a copy of timeless favorites brought back through (3-D) dimensionalization," he said. "The new wave of 3-D films will be the must-see films, the major releases from major filmmakers."

2 Comments:
I think it's a great idea but there are a couple problems I can come up with. First how would bringing back classics in 3D help? 3D is only cool when something is coming AT you. How can you go back and have Bogart reach out at you when you're watching Casablanca? I think that's kind of ridiculous. The second thing is that when I think of 3D I think of bad 80's movies. They are going to have to re release 3D as something new and cool, not old and played out.
That's a relief. For a minute there I was afraid George Lucas had run out of ideas for ways to re-release the Starwars movies. Do you think he'll do an original 3-D release and then some kind of special edition 3-D release?
Post a Comment
<< Home