the righteous live by faith
Work, long commute, time with kids, chores, time with spouse, time for self (wait, scratch that, they kids are running all over the place!). You have to manage finances so to pay tons of people for everything for mortgage to ISP to phone. You have been empowered to make tons of moral choices not only in your daily/family life, but also ones that are based on what's going on globally (Walmart, environment, human trafficing, etc.). There are lots of education choices for your kids (more than anyone could have imagined 10 years ago) and you've been empowered to review them and get to decide...Maybe "fast paced" isn't the right word...maybe its that we've been so empowered that now we get to/have to make more choices and stay on top of more things than ever before. How can this type of life be maintained?

1 Comments:
There are a lot of choices now and also a lot of things to do. The gift and the curse of living in this culture at this time is the pressure to make the right decisions and do them well so that you can afford the finer things that life has to offer. Everyone is bombarded with this image of a better, easier, less stressful life that will make you happy. The problem is what you have to do to get it. If you want what the others don't have then you have to be willing to do what they won't. Put in those hours, work those hard jobs, do the commute, ect... I'm just glad I said "screw it" a long time ago. I don't want the fancy stuff. Sure it's nice from time to time, but I'm just fine how I am right now. I really don't need to much to live off of. Just enough to buy a couple CDs, see a few movies and go out to eat every once in awhile. So yes, we live in a time where there are many options but you have to think, will you, in ten years from now wish that you wouldn't have taken that promotion/extra job/new career choice that takes up all your free time and makes you exhausted when you get home? Sure it will be more money which in theory should give your more/better options in life, but isn't it possible you could look back to where your life is right now and say "Wow, I was so much happier back then." I think that happens a lot more than people think.
Post a Comment
<< Home