Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Thwarting Borat

Ok, according to Poland, Fox is doing a Tiered Release. 800 screens isn't tiny, but it means there's a good chance Borat won't be so widely spread that it'll be in Johnson Creek. I'll keep you posted.
The Hot Blog: Borat Redux: "Borat will open on just 800 screens on November 3 (the official release will soon hit the wires), so they are trying to do an expansion release. But it will not be a traditional platform. They are claling it a 'Tiered Release.' There is a plan, even if Fox won’t say exactly what their expectations are. And they don’t have to.

Without recounting my concerns about the length of the engagement for the film, the actual strategy of platforming – even aggressively – in November is risky or groundbreaking (depending on how it goes)."

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Yeah I think it's retarted. There are so many people who want to see this movie and now they are telling them that they can't. I think it's bad management. What, are they trying to build a BIGGER buzz. People have been buzzing about the movie for months and most people are worried that it has peaked already, so I don't understand the logic behind having such a small release. Even if they did a twice as big of release I would still think that it was too small. Let the public see the movie that they want to see and the studio should let itself reap the reward of taking a chance.

10/24/06, 11:54 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I don't think the public awareness is quite as high as you think. Sure EW did a cover on it, but there is a significant number of people whose initial read is to be offended and won't go until someone who has seen it recommends it. There's no star, it doesn't have a polished look, and it's a hard-R that some have publicly wondered how it didn't get NC-17.

That said, 40-yr-old Virgin opened on 2800 screen to $21M. Maybe Borat should be mimicking that release.

10/25/06, 7:21 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

HSX put its opening weekend price at $15M (the same as Dreamwork Animations Flushed Away, btw).
Santa Clause 3 is predicted to open at $25M.

Interesting.

10/25/06, 7:52 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Well if it would have opened to 2,500 screens it would definately have beaten Santa Clause 3. Come on, no one cares about that stupid movie. By the way, my buddy Stephen who I'm going to see the movie with on opening day is going as Borat for Halloween. He has had a beard every day since high school and is going to shave it for the sake of Borat. Very nice!

10/25/06, 12:58 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Wow, that's dedication to a costume...and that's a costume idea that merits that level of dedication.

But I think you underestimate Santa Clause 3. I agree, it's a worn out brand...but it's still Tim Allen, it's still Santa Claus, and kids are a lot more forgiving of franchise mis-steps than adults are...heck, not only don't they see them as mis-steps, they think they're cool--I mean, come on! Santa Clause 2 had a Santa Claus robot! That's the coolest thing ever...well, at least the coolest thing until #3 where he has an archenemy! Screw Borat, I'm there!

10/26/06, 6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home