How to sell Potter
I'm torn on whether or not to post this one. First, I must say that I did not notice this on my own. It was pointed out on /film, a sight that I've found to be very tasteful.The first thing I thought of was Batman & Robin, where Silverstone had her butt digitally slimmed. Then a couple summers ago there were rumors that Lohan's bosom was digitally reduced for Herbie...though that was probably just rumors.
Thinking of Lohan made me remember the great SNL skit with Lohan where they did the Harry Potter spoof that probably gave the studio the idea for the change in the poster.
But assuming these posters are legit, it's pretty sick that a major would pay someone hours to Photoshop Emma Watson, a 16-yr-old at the time of filming. It was funny on SNL because it was parody.
The thing is, the only reason why a studio spends money (in this case to have a graphic artist spend hours and hours on Photoshop) is because they believe they will see a return on the investment. It's sick that they're pointedly going to try to get people to see this movie who otherwise wouldn't because Watson's chest wasn't big enough.
I'm not sure if I'm feeling pissed or sick...probably a lot of both.
Labels: Harry Potter, summer 2007

4 Comments:
Ahhhh, gotta love the men in America!
That's just like woman to assume that a man did that!
:-P
Hmmm...in light of this new poster I should probably adjust up my Harry Potter 5 prediction.
Ann found this quote from Kate Beckinsale:
"What’s considered ideal in Hollywood is completely different than anywhere else in the world. I don’t think you can aspire to it, nor can I. Everybody is retouched, stretched, lengthened, slimmed and trimmed. I could look at a picture of myself from the past and think, why don’t I look like that now? It’s because I never have!"
That's a good comment from Beckinsale and she's right. I don't know why they would touch up a girl that's so young. Maybe it's simply for the fact that they want the audience to think that the Potter clan has really grown up since the last movie. This is more a more high school teen targeted movie than the last ones. I don't know that's the best I can come up with.
Post a Comment
<< Home