Wow! What a weekend.
So Da Vinci had a pretty rough weekend for a $75M+ opener.
Here are the estimates:
Fri: $29M
Sat: $27.5M
Sun: $20.5M
Total: $77M (only $3 off HSX's prediction)
Normally, all three days are roughly the same number; fact that it had successive drop offs doesn't bode well for this film's future performance.
Conversely, Over the Hedge managed to have Saturday numbers 44% higher than Friday's and Sunday's higher than Friday's as well (this is the typical pattern for a kids' movie). It, however, only managed $37M for the weekend...a number the studio can't be happy with (HSX predicted $50M). It'll be interesting to see if it can manage $130M total...almost certainly won't make Madagascar's $175M. This certainly sets the table nicely for Cars which opens June 9, since this was it's only real family-friendly competitor.
Before Cars, however, we got X3, which received thumbs up from Ebert and Roper, who both compared it favorably to the first two. The Hollywood Reporter, however, gives the review that I expected: "that potent X-factor is considerably diminished in Singer's absence." Either way, at only 104 mins, HSX's $100M opening (based on four-day weekend), is almost a certainty. And with little competition from movies that were released before it, and no other action tentpoles to be released until Superman, X3 could really clean up this summer.
So, what do you think? Will DVC break $150M? Could X3 be the biggest hit of the summer? Is Cars destined for the big spot? How about Superman or Pirates? Now that a couple big players have been released and have largely fallen, how do you think this summer will shape up?
Here are the estimates:
Fri: $29M
Sat: $27.5M
Sun: $20.5M
Total: $77M (only $3 off HSX's prediction)
Normally, all three days are roughly the same number; fact that it had successive drop offs doesn't bode well for this film's future performance.
Conversely, Over the Hedge managed to have Saturday numbers 44% higher than Friday's and Sunday's higher than Friday's as well (this is the typical pattern for a kids' movie). It, however, only managed $37M for the weekend...a number the studio can't be happy with (HSX predicted $50M). It'll be interesting to see if it can manage $130M total...almost certainly won't make Madagascar's $175M. This certainly sets the table nicely for Cars which opens June 9, since this was it's only real family-friendly competitor.
Before Cars, however, we got X3, which received thumbs up from Ebert and Roper, who both compared it favorably to the first two. The Hollywood Reporter, however, gives the review that I expected: "that potent X-factor is considerably diminished in Singer's absence." Either way, at only 104 mins, HSX's $100M opening (based on four-day weekend), is almost a certainty. And with little competition from movies that were released before it, and no other action tentpoles to be released until Superman, X3 could really clean up this summer.
So, what do you think? Will DVC break $150M? Could X3 be the biggest hit of the summer? Is Cars destined for the big spot? How about Superman or Pirates? Now that a couple big players have been released and have largely fallen, how do you think this summer will shape up?

3 Comments:
Da Vinci will still do at least $250. Cars will be big and so will X3, but I really think Pirates is going to be the big one of the summer. I don't think there is enough interest in Superman. It'll do okay, but it won't do gangbusters. Supposedly this year is up from last year by 7% but there has also been 23% more movies released. What does that all mean? I don't know. Basically that people don't like going to movies as much any more. In five years I think movie theater chains will start going out of business (along with movie studios).
I agree with Tim. I think X3 and Cars will do very well...I think Pirates will kick some serious butt!! :) YAY! I mean ARRRRRR!!!! Tis be tru de pirates will be mighty tough in the de waters. ARRRRR!!
That's mighty fine pirate talk there, erin.
btw, you may want to look at your profile...you have listed as one of your favorite movies: "Legally Blond Pirates of the Carribean". I didn't realize there were any blond pirates...or that they'd care if they were legal or not...but I guess that's why they'd make a movie about them. ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home