Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ringing Endorsements

There are some great review excerpts for Pirates 3 over at Metacritic.
My favorite so far is from the Village Voice:
Long before the third, fourth, or fifth climax in this endless, obligatory summer diversion, I slunk into my seat in a passive, inattentive stupor, fully submitting to the fact that I hadn't the slightest idea what the hell was going on.
Though, this one from ReelViews is probably the most telling:
The last 60 minutes offer adventure as rousing as anything provided in either of the previous installments. Unfortunately, that doesn't account for the other 108 minutes of this gorged, self-indulgent, and uneven production.
Jerry Bruckheimer's amazing. He must have gotten Disney to bankroll this thing (probably easily $225M) and been given final cut, even though the long film drives up the costs and makes it harder to get as many showings in a weekend. If this movie was 90-110 mins instead of 170, I might even go. For example, if Transformers is short, fast-pace, and people say the effects make it watchable, I'd be willing to go. No way you can get me to spend three hours at Pirates, even though it's probably the better of the two movies.
If Disney made a financial mistake with these Pirate movies, allowing Bruckheimer to make them long was it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

$112M...not good. Way under expectations. Man, I should have bought put stock.

5/27/07, 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked it. Went to see it with friend up here in Sheboygan. The last 60 minutes were awesome. Just huge. I'm dense when it comes self-indulgent, so I have no idea if it was that. I felt like the time flew by.

5/30/07, 2:41 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Yeah, I'm not concerned as some about the time because #2 went by real fast. I am concerned about not knowing what the hell is going on though, although, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I really knew what the hell was going on with the first two.

6/5/07, 8:14 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

The bigger question is, "What the hell is going on with its box office performance?!"

6/6/07, 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home