When the Big Screen Matters
That Superman review got me thinking. Of course, it's always more fun to see a movie in the theater than to watch it at home, but these are the only films I pointedly remember thinking to myself that not only was it better on the big screen, but watching it in the theater was a completely different (and qualitatively better) experience than even the best home theater experience can be...in fact, with all these movies, watching them later on the small screen was a let down. - King Kong (best theater experience ever...T-Rex fight isn't nearly as intense on the small screen)
- Matrix / Episode 1 (action sequences were so cool on the big screen...the combination of the Matrix's visuals and philosophy so overwhelmed me the first time I saw it that I didn't get the basics of the narrative.)
- Saving Private Ryan (saw it at a theater with excellent sound...felt like the bullets whizzed past me)
- Moulin Rouge (beautiful film, great crowd)
- Passion of the Christ/Fight Club (you totally get absorbed in the horror of it all)
- America's Heart and Soul/Open Range (beautifully shot)
I'm not sure if the Lord of the Rings movies or Jurassic Park should make that list. They were awesome on the big screen...but I don't remember them being particularly better than watching them at home in the same way these other movies did. Interestingly enough, none of Shyamalan's movies made my list, even though he's a particular nazi when it comes to developing his projects with a "small screen be damned" approach.
How about you? What movies would you say were remarkable big screen events?

3 Comments:
1.One of the first movies I thought of was Lord of the Rings. They are good at home too, but I thought it was a great big screen movie.
2.The Birds- that movie is not very gripping at all on video, but watching it at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland was really cool.
3.Fantasia was also a much more exciting experience in the theater than at home.
You're defintely right about Fantasia 2000
See, I think the real question is, did you not like it as much the second time because it was on a small scene or just because it doesn't stand up well upon a second viewing? Sometimes I see a movie and I hold it in really high regard (surprise surprise), but then I see it again and I'm like, eh. Happened last year with Star Wars. Saw it twice on the big screen. If I would have only seen it once I would have put it in my top ten, but after seeing it the second time I realized it wasn't as good as I remembered. I don't know if this is possible but I think that maybe I overhyped it...to myself. After seeing it and really enjoying it, I keep telling people and myself how wonderful it is/was. Then after I see it again, I'm kind of let down. Happened this year with V For Vendetta. Really really really excited for the movie, it came out, I loved it. I told everyone how wonderful it was, saw it again with Eric and found myself thinking, "Why isn't this as good as it was last week?"
So, now that I sufficently skated around answering your question I am going to say goodbye.
Post a Comment
<< Home