Friday, November 17, 2006

Jennifer Hudson

Well, I haven't watch most seasons of American Idol, but according to David Poland, I caught the right one because I know who Jennifer Hudson is. Apparently, she's not only a great singer, but an Oscar-calibar actress. Poland tends to get excited and over state things...I can't imagine what it must be like to be a person with tendencies like that :-p ...but this is certainly very interesting.
Poland's Review:
There isn't a bad performance in the movie. But the powerful surprise is Jennifer Hudson, who will be winning an Oscar this year, no matter what category they run her in.

The studio long ago decided to go supporting, but the HFPA is considering moving her to lead and she is, indeed, the lead of this film. There is a fear of Dame Helen, but the reality is that this performance would win in any category, whether Actress, Supporting Actress, or Best Short Film. The reason to move her to lead would to make an opportunity available for another performance…

Beyonce absolutely deserves a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her role in Dreamgirls. But given the brutal fight for Best Actress slots, I don't believe she can be sure of even a nomination there. As you watch the early parts of the film, it's not real clear that she deserves Academy recognition, but she really soars in the third act with a number of sequences, particularly with her performance of a new Henry Krieger song, "Listen," done almost completely in close-up.

And again… Jennifer Hudson will have an Oscar before the end of February.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I never saw that season, so I don't know anything about her. I do know that being a singer does not necessarily mean you can act (and vice versa) but a whole lot of people sure try. I'm very weary of an American Idol contestant being a high caliber actress, but...who knows. I'll probably never see the movie so I won't be able to comment on it....oh wait, no one has seen the movie, but everyone has something to say about it. God, that's annoying.

11/19/06, 1:49 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Actually, it screened last week for critics and Academy voters...so these remarks are based on an actual viewing.

11/19/06, 5:56 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

oh wow! I didn't know anyone had seen it yet. It's still a front runner?

11/20/06, 8:50 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

You should read Poland's entire review

11/21/06, 8:07 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Nah, not interested enough... I really do not want to see this movie at all.

11/27/06, 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home