Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lost for words

What can you say when something like this is confirmed by the trades?

Apparently, Tom Cruise will team up with Ben Stiller for "The Hardy Boys".

I have always contended that Cruise should do more comedies, because he's genuinely funny and pleasant to watch on screen...but this project and Ben Stiller? What can one say to this?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a young man, I spent many hours reading Hardy Boys novels. I read the one about skateboarding, the one about virtual reality, the one about terrorism... It was basically Sweet Valley High for boys. If this movie has to be made, it should retain the naive spirit of adventure that attracted kids to the series in the first place. Also, the studio would have done well to hire actors for whom the label "boy" would sound less a joke. Did you read any of the HB books, Eric?

2/14/07, 11:00 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Yeah, I read many of the Hardy Boys books, though I can't say I have any memory of them at all, fond or otherwise.

So, I'm indifferent to the idea of making a Hardy Boys movie, but TC and Stiller in it? That just seems odd. I'd think casting two people who are over 40 is a bad PR move for the studio. I'm guessing they're going to do one of two things:
1. TC and Stiller will be filling side roles, either mentoring Frank and Joe Hardy or trying to thwart them. Doing that wouldn't be too bad of an idea, but it would mean your A-List stars aren't in the title roles, which isn't very likely.
2. More likely, TC and Stiller will be Frank and Joe all grown up. to which I say "why bother"? I mean, if people want to see a Hardy Boys movie they'll want to see the Hardy's as boys. Having them as adults is simply using the Hardy Boys brand as a means to get people to remember the name of the TC/Ben Stiller movie, and that just depresses me.

2/14/07, 11:34 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I think it's the combo that is the most surprising. This script must be so impressive that it snagged two of the worlds biggest stars and made the studio believe that paying these two stars "X" amount of dollars to be in the film, will be a financial sound investment. I can't imagine how much the studio is paying Tom Cruise and Ben Stiller because, well, it is a movie about THE HARDY BOYS!
....The whole thing sounds like a bad joke. I can't wait to see who's directing it.

2/17/07, 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home