Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Great Shakespeare What if

This is a fun report theorizing how Shakespeare may have managed his intellectual property and brands had he been alive today. Follow the link to hear the entire report.
NPR : Could Shakespeare Survive in Hollywood?: "If William Shakespeare were alive today, he might be in real estate.

Shakespeare made some money as a writer over the course of his career. But longtime Shakespearean actor Patrick Stewart notes that his real wealth seems to have come from owning shares in The Globe Theater, as well as a substantial amount of property.

'He was a capitalist, no doubt about that,' Stewart says.

Today, Shakespeare's works are in the public domain. But as a living playwright, he would be collecting thousands of dollars in royalties -- just as Neil Simon does -- from the hundreds of productions of his plays in the United States alone.

One theater director in Denver, for example, said that his company's five-week run of Measure for Measure produced ticket sales of $470,000. Shakespeare's royalty would have been about 10 percent, or $47,000. That's just one theater in a medium-sized market.

As for publishing, Shakespeare Incorporated would stand to sell several million books a year. Last year in the United States, Shakespeare titles sold more than 775,000 copies. Shakespeare is translated into more than 100 languages; publishing royalties would rake in at least $10 million a year.

Shakespeare would have been popular in Hollywood, too. Like Stephen King, the Bard has spawned a cottage industry of film and television"

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an interesting observation, but don't you think that part of the reason his work is used and published so often may be in a small part due to the fact that it's in the public domain?

11/21/06, 3:13 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I think Ann has a good point here. What's so appealing about his plays is that they are a.) well written b.) well known c.) free. It's tough to get a break in Hollywood and I would hope that Shakespear's stuff would knock people out (even though I'm not a fan) but who knows. If he was alive and his stuff was popular today as it was back then, you're right, he would be making a killing. A big big killing.

11/27/06, 12:16 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

I think that may be part of it, but not a very large part since there are thousands of plays that are public domain.

A couple years ago I read (I think it was in From Dawn to Decadance) that in the past 400 years or so, popular opinion of Shakespeare's plays have waxed and waned. IF I'm remembering this right, in the 1700s most people said that Shakespeare's stuff was inferior to Beaumont and Fletcher.

Now I haven't read/seen anything by these guys, but I guess they did a lot of really good stuff...and it's all in public domain. But what they're lacking is the brand dominance that Shakespeare now has in the Western world.

11/28/06, 5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home