Gibson Departing
Entertainment weekly just posted their cover story Q&A with Mel Gibson. I haven't read the whole thing...you can be assured that I will once the mag comes out, but the quote below surprised me.
Mel Gibson on exorcising his demons: "Martin Scorsese sent me the script from the last film he did, The Departed. I thought it was fantastic. I was like, ''S---, how come you always give me the good script when I'm about to go into production?''"Can you imagine Departed with Gibson? Even more fun to speculate is this question: How different would this fall had looked had Gibson done that project instead of going the route of the wreck loose with his own Apocalypto? His whole drunken affair could have been written off as an understandable side effect of prepping for a movie where violence and rage were required. Certainly the studio would have required Scorsese and the other principles in the film to rally around Gibson and defend him. With that type of A-list support in the press, perhaps instead of disqualifying him for the Oscar, Gibson would have been a front-runner like Nicholson currently is. It would have been safe to vote for Gibson as a make-up vote for not supporting the well-made Passion.

2 Comments:
I read your blog. Consider your private circle breached. Also, my comments bear no relation to this post. Oh noes!
Your review of Stranger Than Fiction intrigued me. I'll have to go see it when it hits DVD. Did you see Borat? I'm curious what you think about it.
I think you're off on this one. He is totally hated and there is no amount of spin or good press that is able to turn his image around. The only thing that is able to help his career (and Tom's too) is time. They've got to stay away and hope people forget what idiots they are over time. All that aside...in a perfect world, if Gibson didn't do all that stupid crap, and took the role instead of Nicholson, I would have loved it. I think Gibson is a great actor. Seeing him play an evil crime lord would have been fun.
Post a Comment
<< Home